1. the act of illuminating or the state of being illuminated
2. a source of light
3. (often plural) Chiefly Brit a light or lights, esp coloured lights, used as decoration in streets, parks, etc.
4. spiritual or intellectual enlightenment; insight or understanding
5. the act of making understood; clarification
6. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) decoration in colours, gold, or silver used on some manuscripts or printed works
(Physics / General Physics) Physics
another name (not in technical usage) forilluminance